FUN FACTS & HARD TRUTHS ABOUT THE WORLDS WATER - Scrubba Supporting World Water Day
A few years back on a trip to Africa the idea the Scrubba was born out of need to clean clothes with a minimal amount of water and as a company who relies on water to make our product work, we are extremely water aware.
With the world’s population continuing to grow at a rapid pace, our water supplies are buckling under the pressure, creating water scarcity in more places than you could ever imagine.
So to help raise awareness for World Water Day 2019 we’ve put together a few fun and hard facts and hard truths about water for you to enjoy, and maybe learn something new!
Fun facts about water
You probably don’t realise how much you depend on water in your daily life. Did you have a shower this morning, drink your daily coffee (or three…), water your favourite plant, cook yourself dinner? Did you notice how much water you used while doing all your normal daily activities? Maybe, maybe not but we’re here to tell you, life would be incredibly different if you couldn’t just turn on the tap and have access to clean, safe water every day. We’ve put together a list of a few fun facts about water, some will blow your mind!
- If the entire world’s water were fit into a 4 litre jug, the fresh water available for us would equal only about one tablespoon
- The human brain contains around 78% water
- Koalas are one of only two creatures that do not drink water and instead get their water from other resources (in the Koala's case: eucalyptus leaves).
- An air traveller can lose approximately 1.5 litres of water during a three-hour flight
- Over 90% of the world’s supply of fresh water is located in Antarctica
- The human body is made up of around 60% water
- A human being an live up to a month without food, but only up to one week without water
- A whopping 96.5% of water on Earth is in our oceans, covering 71% of the surface of our planet
- The water from your tap could contain molecules that dinosaurs drank
- Water is the only substance that is found naturally on Earth in three forms; liquid, gas, solid
Water is something we tend to not think twice about but when you take a second to look into it, it’s actually interesting! We hope you learnt something and are eager to share your newest wealth of knowledge with everyone.
Hard Truths about water
There’s nothing more essential to life on Earth than water and our ability to tackle the ever growing issue of water scarcity. All around the world, water is scare. From Central Australia to sub-Saharan Africa and Asia’s teeming megacities, the problem is truly a worldwide issue. People are struggling to access the clean water they need for drinking, cooking, bathing, hand-washing and growing their food, basic human rights we are all entitled to no matter where we live.
Here are 10 mind blowing facts that will hopefully make you feel thankful that you have access to clean water, a running tap and never have to worry about where your next glass of water is coming from.
- 844 million people are living without access to safe water, that’s around three in every 10 people on the planet
- Worldwide, women and girls spend 200 million hours collecting water for their families
- 1 million people are killed by water, sanitation and hygiene-related disease each year
- Every 2 minutes a child dies from a water-related disease
- By 2025, half of the world’s population will be living in water-stressed areas
- One in three people worldwide do not have access to a clean, safe toilet
- In the US, 2.1 trillion gallons of clean water is lost each year due to poor infrastructure. This could be broken or leaking pipes, faulty taps etc.
- One third of all schools lack access to basic water and sanitation, limiting children’s access to a safe schooling environment
- Diarrhea caused by unsafe water is the third leading cause of child death
- Women can walk up to 6km daily to collect water for their families that may or may not be safe to drink
After reading these quick facts about the world’s water crisis, we hope we have inspired you to preserve the water you have access to, after all, every litre counts!
Next time you’re using your Scrubba wash bag, take a second to think about all those people who don’t have the ability to wash their clothes, hands or food and be thankful that you can.
If you’re interested in helping out, we recommend taking a look at Charity Water. Over the years, we’ve partnered with charity:water to contribute to water projects in Bangladesh, Ethiopia and Kenya. So far you, our customers have enabled us to contribute more than $35,000 USD to fund charity:water and change the lives of the millions of people who don’t have access to safe water. We choose to continue to work with charity:water because they offer a high level of transparency and 100% of the money donated goes to the actual project, rather than on administration costs. This way, you know that your hard-earned money is making a real difference and you can actually see how much a donation can change lives, no matter how big or small that donation is.
You can check out the charity:water website to see what amazing work their doing all around the world, helping people achieve water security!
Have a great day and remember to be conscious about you water usage.
Thanks for reading.